Monday, February 4, 2013

ITS THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT!

I mean, I guess its fair to say I'm a little late with this epiphany, in light of the recent "the worlds going to end on 12/21/2012" failure. But I mean, I was a little worried that the world really was going to end! Like, seriously, hurricanes are turning into SUPERSTORMS and stuff like that.

Not to mention that the fluctuation between temperatures on a weekly basis is giving me HIVES. 10 degrees F one day, and the next day... 50 DEGREES F!

There are wonderful articles on how not only humans, but also DOMESTICATED CATS are killing off the world (meaning, stray domesticated cats in 'merica are killing off all the birds and squirrels and all those other animals that you might not care about, but perform a very important role in preserving the natural balance of what we call "the circle of life")

And maybe the world should end.

Now, I don't mean it in the sort of way that you think I mean it. I don't want to die. I know I will eventually, but I don't want the world to end quite yet. There are a lot of things I would like to see happen before then, but I'm just saying...

I remember as a child not having cable. We had to tune dial my tv to get any sort of picture visible. I remember typing up papers on typewriters and then having to white-out my typos, or even worse START OVER. I remember when it was a big deal to have MORE THAN ONE LAND LINE for your phone, just in case you needed to use the internet at the same time as someone is calling about an emergency. If i wanted to meet my friend somewhere, we would say "3 o'clock by the school parking lot" or something like that, an sure enough both of us would be there, and we didn't need to call or text to announce "I'm here! where are you? did you get stuck in traffic? lol" Now, I get lost more than ever. If (god forbid) I forget to add an event to my phone, I will probably miss it. I don't remember birthdays, but i have an app that brings me right to facebook and it will take me less than 3 seconds to find out. That is, if there is WiFi around. OH YEAH! WIFI! EVERYWHERE!!!!!
 Did you know that scientists have already discovered that it IS possible to implant a MICROCHIP in your BRAIN like MATRIX-STYLE to give you INTELLIGENCE? And they are working on finding a way to market that. But, guess what? With new stuff like that, means less privacy.

Like Gregg Bordowitz said to Amy Sillman, the walls are swiss cheese.

What does it mean to be the first and the last of our kind of people?  And I'm specifically referring to Katy Siegel's written work "Since '45: America and the Making of Contemporary Art".
What does what's happening to the Earth, and even more precisely, what's happening to America, have to do with my art? Am I responding to it? commenting on it? Making anyone think about it? I don't know... I want it to, but I'm not sure quite yet. Soon, maybe.

I hoping this will all flesh out before May... :/


No comments:

Post a Comment